Though our audition process is largely for placement only, it is important for the directors to hear each prospective member’s playing ability. Please contact the office at (513) 556-BAND to schedule an audition.
- The brass and woodwind audition should consist of one prepared selection that best demonstrates your musical proficiency. It should be approximately three minutes in length. This would be a piece that you might perform at a “Solo and Ensemble Festival”, an étude, or honor band audition. Depending on your skill level, a longer marching band show piece or more advanced concert band piece would also be acceptable.
- The Bearcat Band “Three Minute Warm-Up” should be performed using indicated articulations and dynamics. This is an extremely simple warm up that adds a little more after each rest.
- The UC Fight Song (Cheer Cincy) and the Alma Mater should be performed, preferably from memory.
- Please also prepare four major scales up to four sharps and four flats and the chromatic scale.
- There will be brief sight-reading excerpts provided. The entire audition takes approximately fifteen minutes and is fairly informal and actually comfortable.
June Orientation/Assessment Camp – 1 Day
- The camp is required by all incoming freshman. All freshman will be able to audition on their desired instrument of choice through a full ensemble setting.
- The returning members are highly encouraged to be there and participate.
- Please have the music in the audition packet prepared.
- All returning and new members are required to be there.
- This camp is designed to assign positions on the line and also start learning the upcoming year’s show presentation.
- It also helps to establish the philosophy and role of the percussion program as it pertains to the full band experience!
- Upload a video recording of your performance via WeTransfer at https://wetransfer.com/ or through the iOS/Android app.
- Send the video file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In the message, please be sure to include your name and contact information.
- Contact the Band Office at 513-556-BAND (2263) or at email@example.com for any questions.
- Any prospective member who is unable to travel to Cincinnati for their audition may submit a video recording on a DVD, Windows Media Player file, or Quicktime file of your prepared material and scales. Contact the Band Office at 513-556-BAND (2263) or at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.